Open Close

Clyde 3-1 East Fife

Sat, 20th Nov 2021 6:58pm

The Bully Wee staged a late comeback this afternoon and scored three goals in the final quarter to pick up an important three points against East Fife at Broadwood.

Danny Lennon made two changes to the side which picked up a point at Firhill last week, with Barry Cuddihy and Paul Kennedy coming in for Jonathan Page and Robert Jones.

Clyde started on the front foot and David Goodwillie had an early overhead kick turned behind.

Paul Kennedy then tried his luck from distance but his powerful shot was held by Jude Smith.

The visitors then created a number of chances shortly before the break. Scott Mercer got to the by-line and cut the ball back for Jamie Semple, but Mark Docherty got a vital block on his goalbound shot.

Docherty made another important block moments later from Kyle Connell’s header. The visitors strongly appealed for a penalty for handball, but Barry Cook waved away the protests.

At the other end Docherty whipped in a cross from the left flank, which just missed the head of the unmarked Ally Love yards from goal.

Neil Parry was then called into action and made an excellent reflex save from point blank range after Connor McManus was found from a free-kick. The rebound fell to Connell but he couldn’t keep his header under the bar.

Parry then made another save moments later, getting down low to turn Ryan Wallace’s effort behind after the striker hit a shot on the turn.

Clyde had the first chance after the restart. Goodwillie showed good hold up play before squaring to Ross Cunningham, but he blazed his effort over the bar.

The Fifers took the lead in the 57th minute. Aaron Dunsmore’s low shot was saved by Parry but it fell into the path of Connell, who tapped home from close range.

Gregory Tade was introduced off the bench and the Frenchman had a big impact as Clyde turned the game around. He touched the ball to Aaron Splaine who in turned played Goodwillie through on goal, and the captain dinked the ball past Smith with his left foot to level the scores.

Two minutes later The Bully Wee took the lead. Tade showed good skill to beat two East Fife defenders, before Docherty sent Kennedy to the by-line, who cut back into the middle of the box. It was met perfectly by Cunningham, who crashed the ball high into the net.

Connell had a chance to make it all-square again four minutes from time after the ball dropped to him in the box, but he sliced his effort wide of the post.

The points were sealed in the 88th minute with a flowing counter-attack move. Goodwillie picked up the ball on the edge of the Clyde box after a clearing header from Kevin Nicoll. The forward slipped the ball to Cunningham still in his own half, who made a lungbusting run through on goal and smashed an effort past Smith and into the net.

If you were at today's match and are a CIC owner with a website account, you can vote for your top three performers in the Man of the Match vote.


Pictures by Craig Black
It seems you are viewing this mobile site on a device which would be best suited to view the main Clyde FC website.