Open Close

Montrose 2-2 Clyde

Sat, 7th Aug 2021 5:46pm

The Bully Wee staged a remarkable late comeback at Links Park this afternoon, coming from two goals down with two minutes to go to claim a point with 10 men.

Danny Lennon made four changes to the side that lost to Dumbarton last Saturday, with Marky Munro, Adam Livingstone, Kevin Nicoll and Paul Kennedy all coming into the side.

Montrose had the first chance of the game as Graham Webster go on the end of a long ball into the box by Sean Dillon but he couldn’t make the most of his header as it was aimed straight at David Mitchell.

Dillon then came close to the opener himself as he rose highest in the box from a corner, but his effort was narrowly wide of the post.

The rest of the half saw limited chances for both sides, with a David Goodwillie shot rolling wide the only real opportunity for the Bully Wee.

Montrose did find the net shortly after the restart, as a ball over the top of the Clyde defence resulted in the referee awarding a penalty as Scott Rumsby held on to the Montrose attacker. Graham Webster made no mistake from the spot sending Mitchell the wrong way.

The hosts lead was then doubled when Andrew Steeves was unmarked in the box at a corner and a low ball passed to him allowed Steeves to knock the ball into the net.

As the gam carried on, David Mitchell produced a number of excellent saves to keep the score line at two as Clyde started to put the pressure on late in the game with Ally Love desperately unlucky to see an overhead kick come back off the crossbar.

With time running out Montrose saw a powerful effort come crashing off the crossbar which allowed Clyde to quickly break up the pitch, and a terrific run by Ross Cunningham saw him take the ball past a couple of Montrose defenders before finding Jones free in the box with a cross and the striker headered the ball into the net from close range.

Barry Cuddihy was then shown a second yellow card after trying to get the ball off the keeper to restart the game quickly.

The action didn’t stop there. In injury time a Clyde corner was sent into the box and fell to Splaine who did excellently to keep the ball and put it back across goal to find Ally Love free at the back post and the substitute headered the ball into the corner of the net to bring the scores level.

The full time whistle blew shortly after as both sides left Links Park with a point

If you were at today's match and are a CIC owner with a website account, you can vote for your top three performers in the Man of the Match vote.

Pictures by Mike McFarlane/Phoenix Photography
It seems you are viewing this mobile site on a device which would be best suited to view the main Clyde FC website.