Open Close

Clyde 2 v 1 Alloa Athletic

Clyde v Alloa Athletic

Match Type: Scottish League One

Venue: Broadwood Stadium

Date: Saturday, 14th August 2021

Kick Off: 3:00pm

Attendance: 660

Referee: M Roncone


Clyde Alloa Athletic
(59) Goodwillie Scougall (72)
(89) Goodwillie  


Clyde   Alloa Athletic
Mitchell Hutton Yellow Card
Munro Mendy (65)
Rumsby Graham
Elsdon Durnan Yellow Card
(40) Livingstone Taggart
Cunningham Howie Yellow Card
Gomis Niang
(78) Nicoll King (65)
Yellow Card Splaine Scougall
(73) Kennedy Boyd (69)
Goodwillie Sammon
Bradley-Hurst McDowall
(73) Mortimer Robertson (65)
Balatoni Armour (65)
(40) Docherty Lamont
(78) Jones Armstrong
McGrath O'Donnell (69)

Match Report

The Bully Wee picked up their first victory of the cinch League 1 season this afternoon, after a fantastic late winner by David Goodwillie.

Danny Lennon made eight changes from the team that lost to Broomhill on Wednesday, with only Matthew Elsdon, Ross Cunningham and Kevin Nicoll retaining their places.

The first half was fairly quiet in terms of chances, though David Goodwillie forced David Hutton into a good save following a mazy run and shot from outside the box, whilst The Wasps had a couple of free-kicks in promising areas that they couldn't find the target with.

David Mitchell then held a free-kick from Scott Taggart after the interval, before The Bully Wee broke the deadlock in the 59th minute. Paul Kennedy played a pass to Ross Cunningham, who in turn sent a teasing cross into the box. It was met by the head of Goodwillie, and he aimed a precision header past Hutton and into the corner of the net from the centre of the box.

Alloa tried to hit back and ex-Clyde man Craig Howie got on a loose ball and fired an effort towards goal, but Mitchell pulled off a fine save.

The Wasps were level in the 72nd minute when Stefan Scougall sent a shot towards goal. Mitchell could only parry it onto the inside of the post, and the ball crossed the line.

Scott Rumsby and Matthew Elsdon both made vital blocks in the same passage of play as Alloa pressed for a late winner, but all three points would remain at Broadwood after a moment of magic from the Clyde captain.

In the last minute of normal time, Cunningham released Goodwillie down the left flank. He got to the by-line and took the ball past Andy Graham, before blasting it over the head of Hutton and high into the net from the tighest of angles.

It seems you are viewing this mobile site on a device which would be best suited to view the main Clyde FC website.