Open Close

Greenock Morton 2 v 1 Clyde

Greenock Morton v Clyde

Match Type: League Cup

Venue: Cappielow

Date: Saturday, 24th July 2021

Kick Off: 3:00pm

Attendance: 339

Referee: S Lambie


Greenock Morton Clyde
(63) Muirhead Love (56)
(68) Muirhead  


Greenock Morton   Clyde
Hamilton Mitchell
Hynes Mortimer (69)
Lithgow Balatoni
(46) McLean Page
Strapp Livingstone (80)
Blues Cuddihy
Jacobs Gomis
(63) McGrattan Splaine
(76) Lyon Kennedy (49)
(85) Muirhead Andrew (49)
Ugwu Goodwillie
Wylie Bradley-Hurst
(46) Ledger Cunningham
(76) Oliver Love (49)
(63) Garrity Docherty (69)
Russell Jones (49)
King McGrath (80)
(85) McGregor

Match Report

The Bully Wee ended their Premier Sports Cup campaign with a narrow loss at Cappielow this afternoon.

Danny Lennon made four changes to the side that took on East Kilbride on Tuesday, with Paul Kennedy and Billy Mortimer returning to the starting XI along with Jonathan Page who made his debut, whilst Owen Andrew was handed his first start. 

Robbie Muirhead had an early chance for the hosts when he took the ball past Page and fired it across the face of the goal, but there were no takers to tap it into the net.

Muirhead had another opportunity when he caught the ball on the volley from outside the area, but David Mitchell was able to hold the shot.

The Ton also came close from a corner near the end of the first half, after the ball clipped the top of the crossbar.

Ally Love and Robert Jones were introduced as substitutes just after the interval and they combined to break the deadlock in sensational style in the 56th minute. Jones knocked the ball down to Love, who volleyed into the top corner over 20 yards from goal.

At this point Clyde topped Group G but things would change very quickly. A long ball over the top allowed Morton to equalise, after Muirhead got in behind Billy Mortimer and poked the ball past Mitchell.

Mitchell made a fine save to deny Reece Lyon moments later but Morton turned the game around in the 68th minute after the ball made it's way to Muirhead at the back post, and he made no mistake with his finish.

It seems you are viewing this mobile site on a device which would be best suited to view the main Clyde FC website.