Open Close

Airdrieonians 2 v 0 Clyde

Airdrieonians v Clyde

Match Type: Scottish League One

Venue: Penny Cars Stadium

Date: Saturday, 15th February 2020

Kick Off: 3:00pm

Attendance: 913

Referee: C Napier


Airdrieonians Clyde
(3) Ryan  
(30) McKay  


Airdrieonians   Clyde
Gallacher 1 Mitchell
MacDonald 2 Cuddihy
Kerr 3 Livingstone
Fordyce 4 Howie
Yellow Card Wedderburn 5 Rumsby
(86) McKay 6 Grant
Smith 7 Lyon (67)
Millar 8 Rankin
McCann 9 Goodwillie
(90) Ryan 10 Cunningham (67) Yellow Card
(79) Murray 11 Wylde (72)
Eckersley S1 Smith (72)
Hutton GK McGee
(86) Thomson S2 McNiff
(90) Gallagher S3 Love
Hawkshaw S4 McStay (67) Yellow Card
Roy S5 Lamont (67)
(79) Roberts S6 Johnston

Match Report

The Bully Wee paid the price for another poor first half performance in Airdrie this afternoon, as the hosts picked up all three points thanks to goals in the opening half hour.

Danny Lennon made three changes to the side that met Celtic on Sunday, with Tom Lang missing through injury, and Chris McStay and Mark Lamont dropping to the bench. Ross Cunningham made his first start, and there were recalls for Ross Lyon and Gregg Wylde.

The Diamonds were gifted an early lead after only three minutes when David Mitchell picked up a pass back from Craig Howie just outside his six-yard box. The indirect free-kick was tapped back to Andy Ryan, who fired it high into the net.

Paul McKay's long range effort then clipped the crossbar, and moments later with an open goal at his mercy he sliced his effort wide.

At the other end Ross Lyon sent a teasing cross into the box but Sean Crighton got the slightest of touches to it with his head, to divert it away from David Goodwillie yards from goal.

A miscued clearance from Howie presented Ryan with a chance but Mitchell saved the shot, before Airdrie doubled their lead on the half-hour mark. Callum Smith ran through on goal and saw his effort blocked by Mitchell, but McKay was on hand to tuck home the rebound.

Clyde looked hungrier after the interval and Scott Gallacher was unable to hold a powerful shot from Goodwillie, but the ball was cleared to safety.

Mark Lamont came off the bench and threaded a ball through the Diamonds defence for Goodwillie to run on to. He was through one-on-one with Gallacher but took one touch too many and his shot was turned behind for a corner.

Airdrie should have increased their lead in the closing stages, with the unmarked Smith putting a header over the bar from six yards out, and with the last play of game, Mitchell parried Josh Kerr's blistering free-kick from distance, but Calum Gallagher hit the rebound straight at the Clyde 'keeper.

It seems you are viewing this mobile site on a device which would be best suited to view the main Clyde FC website.